I know a lot of you are so this is a special 'Fest 8' post, listing all the bands i think you should check out, the UK bands you must see and and a cheeky podcast thing at the end with one song from every band ive mentioned. Im not sure if it is happening next year but if it is you really should go. Imagine one long punk rock show with a bunch of your favourite bands, all your friends and enough pizza to eat and root beer to drink to last you forever and on top of that crazy warehouse, house, garden, parking lot shows full of covers and crowdsurfs. Fest is THE ultimate weekend.
There is a good contingent of UK bands this year and some of my favourites are playing. One being The Arteries: http://www.myspace.com/thearteries I confess that the first few times i saw the Arteries i wasnt into them and thought they were pretty weak. Over the last year they have become one of the best bands in the country, blowing any venue they play in the country apart and gaining a loyal legion of fans. Think 90's skatepunk with inspirational and sometimes positive lyrics with every song carrying a message and a long haired shouting/screaming frontman and guitar solos to die for. I can only see this band getting more and more popular. One of the most hardworking and DIY bands out there. If you arnt going to fest make sure you check em out live anyway coz they slay. Buy their debut album too: http://swfu.bigcartel.com/ definitely one of the best releases this year. Nicest dudes too.
Next up you should check out Bangers: http://www.myspace.com/bangersbangers another of my absolute favourites and again the nicest dudes. Think all the best bits of none more black and fifth hour hero with Roo's gruff as fuck vocal over the top. Band kills it every time and are yet to release a bad song. They recently released a split 10" with Brighton's Break the Habit: http://www.myspace.com/wearebreakthehabit who play Latterman-esque beats so you should definitely pick that up: http://thisonesforthecrew.bigcartel.com/product/bangers-break-the-habit-split brilliant record.
Other UK bands playing you should check out are http://www.myspace.com/apologiesihavenone two piece against me style punk rock. You wont see many bands with as much passion as these guys. http://www.myspace.com/thisiscalvinball are also bringing their two man melodic punk rock to Florida, download their latest album for free here: http://notshyofthediy.blogspot.com/2009/10/calvinball-live-fast-go-to-bed-early.html nice one Craig. More infection fist-in-air punk rock from http://www.myspace.com/okpilot Relatively new on the scene http://www.myspace.com/brothersofexeter will be bringing their own brand of None More Black punk rock too.
Bangers/Arteries/Brothers and OK Pilot conveniently released a split 7" to commemorate playing Fest so you should order that if you dig what you hear. Label has some great releases coming up: http://www.specialistsubjectrecords.co.uk/
My buddy Chaddock has started a live video blog which has videos of all the UK bands ive listed. Check it out because he is the best and the blog is the best. http://strikeachorduk.blogspot.com/
Im going to recommend you see the following bands:
- 7 Seconds: http://www.myspace.com/7seconds - Seminal 80s hardcore punk band from California fronted by the legend that is Kevin Seconds: http://www.myspace.com/kevinseconds
- Iron Lung: http://loresviscera.blogspot.com/2008/05/iron-lung.html Totally raging two man hardcore/power-violence. Blew me away earlier this year. Drummer is the funniest dude too
- Kudrow: http://www.myspace.com/yokudrow Jeff Rosenstock of BTMI/ASOB is in the band so you know its gonna rule
- Iron Chic: http://www.myspace.com/ironchicsmyspace Fun times melodic pop punk like Latterman
- Cheeky: My friend Josh would not stop going on about this band last Fest and said i had to watch them, im so glad i did. BLEW ME AWAY! Think Descendents meet Blag Flag with female vocals and you have the perfect formula. So much fun, so much party. They just split up and Fest is one of their last shows so please if you go, see them, they will put a permanent smile on your face. Jeff BTMI's free Donation based record label has it up for download: http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur016.htm do it. Will make your weekend. They have an 8 song 10" coming out and then thats it. RIP. I'm gutted.
Turkish Techno: http://www.myspace.com/turkishtechno more fun melodic pop punk. Dig Dear Landlord, you will dig this.
- Rehasher: http://www.myspace.com/rehasher in my opinion the best bits of Less Than Jake are when Roger, the bassist, sings. Rehasher is Roger from Less Than Jake fronting a pop punk band. Its RAD. They just released a new album so hopefully they will come over here at some point coz i missed them last year.
- Good Luck: http://www.myspace.com/wearegoodluck whole debut LP is massive. Features Ginger from One Reason: http://www.myspace.com/onereason so you know its gonna be ace. The boy/girl vocal harmonies are beautiful
- Lemuria: http://www.myspace.com/lemuria amazingamazingamazing boy/girl pop punk in a weezer/weakerthans/lemonheads vein. Get everything they have released. All brilliant
- Dear Landlord: http://www.myspace.com/letslynchthedearlandlord One of favourite current pop punk bands. From when i picked up the Chinese Telephones split a year and a half ago and 'three to the beach' came on i was hooked. Dear Landlord do it better than everyone else, incredibly hooks, raspy vocals and music that puts a smile on your face. Im gutted im missing them to be honest. Come to the UK chaps.
- Banner Pilot: http://www.myspace.com/bannerpilot Used to be my favourite pop punk band but Dear Landlord have taken that spot. Banner Pilot's first EP 'Pass the Poison' was the epitome of fast, fast, hooky pop punk but since this released they have become polished and the songs have become longer and ive lost interest. The EP though will always be amazing. If you like D4 you will love this band, especially the new album ' Collapser' Touring the UK next year.
- Cloak/Dagger: http://www.myspace.com/wearecloakdagger I had the pleasure of putting this band on early this year and they were everything i expected and more. Carbonas meets hot snakes meets black flag fun hardcore. They have a new LP coming out. It rules.
- Algernon Cadwallader: www.myspace.com/algernoncadwallader Shouty Cap n Jazz twiddly indie punk with their own unique spin on it. Such a good band.
- Little Lungs: http://www.myspace.com/littlelungsnynj fun, sweet, rockin' female fronted pop punk.
- Ringers: http://www.myspace.com/ringersband Everytime i listen to the Ringers i remember how much i love them. Amazingly catchy and great gruff pop punk. Get into it. Bassist looks like Sideshow Bob too.
- Wormburner: http://www.myspace.com/wormburneryo More fun melodic gruff punk. Like Get Bent, Iron Chic etc you will dig this
- Shook Ones: http://www.myspace.com/wormburneryo I cant put in words how good this band are. Just go and see them. Seriously.
- Vicious Fishes: http://www.myspace.com/environmentalyouthcrunch Was Environmental Youth Crunch, they changed their name but still rule. Jawbreaker style fun with songs about bike rides.
- Ampere: http://www.myspace.com/amperepunx I'm an idiot and only recently got into this band. They are incredible. post punk screamo. Ragin'
- Comadre: http://www.myspace.com/comadre Again only just got into this band. Angry as hell hardcore with time changes and cool bits. I really dont know what im talking about.
Deep Sleep: http://www.myspace.com/deepsleepmusic Without a doubt one of my current favourite hardcore punk bands. Think an angrier, faster descendents. Sooooo goooooood. Touring the UK next year. Im stoked.
- 1994! http://www.myspace.com/1994theband Awesome twiddly, shouty punk/screamo
STEVE'S FEST MIXTAPE: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f19e78d06547c89f24a64199ac7f73e5e04e75f6e8ebb871
ENJOY. Bring me back presents please